Raising Rented Housing Standards in the East Midlands

Landlord ‘Buy-to-Let’ awards 2009: Public Service Winner


Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

A House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is a property occupied by members of more than one household who share amenities and facilities, see a Landlord's Guide to Houses in Multiple Occupation. This includes bedsits, flats, shared houses, and those in which students live. However, there are a few exemptions. For example:

Licensing of HMOs

Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO's) became mandatory in April 2006 with the introduction of the Housing Act 2004. This means that larger higher risk HMOs will probably require a licence from the local authority, if they meet all of the following criteria;

The Act also allows for Additional and Selective licensing of properties which means that particular types of properties, or properties in certain designated areas, will also have to be licensed. Licences can last up to five years and will have conditions attached to them that must be complied with.

If you believe you own a property that is subject to Licensing, you should contact the Private Rented Sector Housing Team at the Local Authority in which the property is situated (see below). Failure to obtain a licence for a property that meets the criteria for licensing can result in prosecution and a fine being imposed.

Authority contact details [16kb] - for the licensing team at each Authority which you should contact if you believe your property needs licensing.

View an example Licensing Application Form [1.43mb]. Please note: Local Authorities may have their own variations on this form, we advise landlords to contact them directly.

Visit the Downloads page for other relevant documents.

Visit the HMO Licensing Database

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional